Receding gums don’t look great. Even worse, they can do terrible things to your oral health. They make you more prone to dental decay and other problems. If not treated, gum recession will result in losing teeth and bone. This condition is typically treated with a grafting procedure. But at our office, we offer a great alternative to a gum graft.
Called the Chao Pinhole® Surgical Technique, it offers many advantages over a traditional graft. To see if you’re a good candidate for pinhole gum treatment, call Warwick Valley Dental at 845-582-3985. Depending on the degree of your recession, a gentle dental laser may be another option for treatment.
In the meantime, see some of the benefits of Chao pinhole treatment:
- Less Invasive – During a gum graft, Dr. Patel usually removes tissue from the roof of your mouth and then stitches it to your gums to cover the receding area. (Tissue from a donor is sometimes used instead.) With a pinhole procedure, he simply makes a tiny opening (a “pinhole”) in your gums. He uses special instruments to loosens the gum tissue, then moves it to cover your tooth roots. The tissue is held in place with collagen fibers.
- More Comfortable – Since the pinhole treatment involves no cutting or stitching, it’s more comfortable than grafting. We’ll numb the area with local anesthesia prior to your procedure. That’s typically all that’s needed. However, if you’re nervous or worried about discomfort, you can also receive laughing gas or an oral sedative.
- Quicker Process – Pinhole treatment also takes less time than a gum graft. Since it rarely takes more than an hour, it is sometimes referred to as a “lunchtime gum lift.”
- Easier Recovery – You’ll have minimal swelling or discomfort after a pinhole treatment. Your diet and oral hygiene will return to normal far more quickly than with a gum graft. Your risk of post-procedure infection is far lower too, since no incisions were made.
- Natural Look – Whether the gum tissue used from a graft comes from your own mouth or from a donor, it won’t be an exact match for your gums. It will also appear white during the healing process. Since Dr. Patel simply moves your own tissue during your pinhole surgery, it will look totally natural. You won’t feel self-conscious about smiling.
Gum recession has several causes, including aging and overly aggressive tooth brushing. Gum disease is a common cause. If you have gum disease, we’ll treat the infection prior to your procedure.
Interested in this convenient and comfortable alternative to a gum graft? Call 845-582-3985 for an appointment in Warwick, NY.